Author Topic: Needs intra-folder sorting  (Read 10842 times)

Wildman

Needs intra-folder sorting
« on: November 17, 2005, 07:49:00 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but I want to be able to have things organized within folders. What I mean is, Daz puts Mike, Vickie, etc. all into the same folder. I want to have a Mike only folder with all of his clothes and hair, with another folder for Vickie only.

Dizzi

• Administrator
Re: Needs intra-folder sorting
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 01:53:19 PM »
If you're using P5/P6, you could create subfolders for M3 and V3 and move the cr2s, pngs and rsrs of the figures to the corresponding folders.

I can add the abbility to add single files to the library setup, if you really want that.

acanthis

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 05:26:39 PM »
I found that you have to approach this from two directions: As well as creating your library tree in Advanced Library, you need to do some tidying up of the runtime folders.  For example, I reorganised my DAZ content into:

runtime:libraries:character:DAZ M3 (for the CR2s)
runtime:libraries:face:DAZ M3 (Each set of faces in its own sub folder)
runtime:libraries:hand:DAZ M3 (Each set of hands in its own sub folder)
runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ M3:INJ (for all the DAZ Morph INJect/REMove poses)
runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ M3:MAT (For all the DAZ MAT poses)
runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ M3:POSE (For any other poses for this figure, each set in its own sub folder)

runtime:libraries:character:DAZ V3
runtime:libraries:face:DAZ V3
runtime:libraries:hand:DAZ V3
runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ V3:INJ
runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ V3:MAT
runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ V3:POSE

runtime:libraries:character:DAZ SP
runtime:libraries:face:DAZ SP
runtime:libraries:hand:DAZ SP
runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ SP:INJ
runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ SP:MAT
runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ SP:POSE

Once you've done this, you can set up the "links" in Advanced Library; so I have created a tree that looks something like:

People
  Mike 3 -> runtime:libraries:character:DAZ M3
    Injections -> runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ M3:INJ
    Materials -> runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ M3:MAT
    Poses -> runtime:libraries:pose:DAZ M3:POSE
    Faces -> runtime:libraries:face:DAZ M3
    Hands -> runtime:libraries:hand:DAZ M3
    Clothing
      Product 1 -> {Product folder 1, Product Folder 2 ... Product Folder n}
      Product n
    Characters
      Product 1 -> {Product folder 1, Product Folder 2 ... Product Folder n}
      Product n

Victoria 3
    Injections
    Materials
    Poses
    Faces
    Hands
    Clothing
    Characters

Steph Petite
    Injections
    Materials
    Poses
    Faces
    Hands
    Clothing
    Characters

I like this because it puts everything related to the character in one place, even if it does take a bit of work to initially set up.

Wildman

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 09:30:14 PM »
Yep, adding single files is what I need. Having to rearrange the actual folders in explorer defeats the purpose of this library IMO.

acanthis

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 07:28:39 AM »
I know where you're coming from, and I thought long and hard about the best way to do this, but the problem is then how do you manage that going forward?  With a large runtime you could end up with literally hundreds of individual file references in Advanced Library's table.  What happens if you inadvertently move one of them?  How about product updates that add/remove/rename poser content files?  What about the speed penalty if AL has to resolve individual links to find the thumbnails?

The issue is always the same, though; the organisation of content in Poser sucks.  There is no inventory management, no version control, no standardised install/uninstall capability, and the library palettes are stuck in a "File Manager" mentality that makes working with related objects an agonising experience.  I think you can only go so far to put that right outside of Poser, and in doing so you need to be careful you don't accidentally create a system that's more cumbersome than the one that's already there.

All of that said, how about folders with filters?  Allow the user to apply a file filter to a folder in AL's tree, so that only those files matching the filter will appear in it in the library view?  So you could filter on, say, "Michael*.*;M3*.*;Mike*.*" to get just Mike 3 from the DAZ character folder.  Regular expressions would be nice ;)

Wildman

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 05:27:29 AM »
Would the filter be saved for each folder? Like, say I create a V3 folder and an M3 folder, had them both link to the Daz People folder, and had a filter on each to display only V3 or M3 respectively. And say I had in the V3 folder a Hair subfolder which linked to AdoronaHair, would the filter display only files with V3 in the name, or would that subfolder have its own filter? And would that filter be complex enough to display several files with unrelated names?
It seems to me that being able to add single files would be less complex.

acanthis

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 09:48:48 AM »
Would the filter be saved for each folder? Like, say I create a V3 folder and an M3 folder, had them both link to the Daz People folder, and had a filter on each to display only V3 or M3 respectively. And say I had in the V3 folder a Hair subfolder which linked to AdoronaHair, would the filter display only files with V3 in the name, or would that subfolder have its own filter? And would that filter be complex enough to display several files with unrelated names?
It seems to me that being able to add single files would be less complex.

I envisaged that each (filing system) folder would have its own (optional) filter. So you could have ":runtime:character:DAZ" appearing in several places in AL's library tree, but with a different filter applied to each appearance.

So AL's [People -> Mike 3] might map to ":runtime:character:DAZ" with a filter of "Michael*.*;M3*.*;Mike*.*"
... and AL's [People -> Vicki 3] might map to ":runtime:character:DAZ" with a filter of "Victoria*.*;V3*.*;Vicki*.*"

Those filter strings are just examples btw before anyone points out that they're wrong ;)

Dizzi

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 12:16:37 AM »
Single files, maybe next update. Filters probably, too.

Dizzi

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 10:49:51 PM »
Beta can use single files now. Please try it and tell me if it works for you.
http://www.neocron.webspaceforme.net/library/downloads/#beta

Don't think i'm going to add filters, as you now can drop the files and i don't think that filtering all subfolders with the filter you added above is useful in most cases.

Wildman

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 01:21:50 PM »
Yes! That's exactly what I was hoping for!

acanthis

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 07:35:07 AM »
I've finally got around to testing this, so just a quick note to say that single file links (at least up to beta 1.0.1.7) work OK.  It's more useful than I thought, but I still use this feature sparingly ;)

Dizzi

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 06:51:48 PM »
Thanks for testing!